>To be able to build a successful website like WebAnswers or HubPages there is a list of things you need to put into consideration before you can start on the actual implementation. This list is not in any particular order:
1. Choose the main objective for your website. Is it going to be a question and answer website like WebAnswers? Is it going to be about writing articles? Technical support? Sports? Social activities? Entertainment? The objective will keep you in focus and will guide you through the entire project.
2. Website name; most people think that you need to worry about the website name when all has been done! But I disagree. As soon as you outline the objectives of your website, then you should give it a name. However you need to try and see if that name is available or if it has already been taken! And if you are lucky, you need to go ahead and secure it by buying it, otherwise someone might be having the same idea! Personally I use name.com for my domain name solutions.
3. How will this website benefit you? Before you think about involving third party, you need to think about how the website will benefit you as a person. Is it about generating advertising revenue? Or selling online products? Or being an affiliate and earning commission from other websites. This is what will motivate you as a person, and trust me you need this motivation and energy to keep the project moving otherwise it will never take off.
4. If you wish to engage third party (that is involve other users), how will they benefit? Just like yourself, other users also need to be motivated in order to stay involved in your project. So you need to come up with a smart and transparent way of rewarding the contributors.
When all the above questions are fully answered, you can get on with the implementation part. This also involves some strategic planning and here are some of the things you need to put into consideration:
1. what are the functionalities of my website that need to be achieved? An example of a functionality is authentication; do users need to login to access the website? If yes how am I going to achieve this? Then you need to try and list all the other functionalities that you think your website will need, this is what you will present to the designers in case you want to out source that part.
2. Design and look; you need to come up with an artistic impression of how your website should look like before you start searching for a template on the internet. This will guide you when selecting the perfect template for your website.
3. Content management; you need a content management system. This is the back end application that you will use to manage your website. For example if your website is like HubPages where people write articles, you need a blogger with nice text editing tools which will be accessible by your website users when they are submitting articles.
4. Website hosting; most of the companies that do website hosting today also provide tools which you can use to build amazing and professional websites. I like webs.com and I use it a lot. So you need to think about this critically and compare the different packages. Then you also need to be sure that you will be able to use your domain name which you already secured by making a domain name transfer. And also make sure that all your listed functionalities are achievable.
5. Marketing; when you have finally launched your website, you need to market it so that it can penetrate the internet market and people can know about your website. You can use social websites to market your website, for example facebook adverts, or use Google's Adwords to market your website.
6. SEO – Search Engine Optimization; this is very important because it will make your website appear in search engines like Google. This will help your website to take off easily.
7. Monitoring and Analytics; you need to know how many people have visited your website? From which countries? Which pages did they visit? For how long where they on my website? Are they new visitors or returning visitors? Such statistics is what we call “Website Analytics”. This will help you to monitor your progress and which areas you need to improve. i like "Google Analytics" when it comes to such statistics.