Here are some practical tips to make riding your bicycle safer:
1. Racing tires are thin. Buy wider tires. It will increase stability, and, believe it or not, studies show that up to a point wider tires actually reduce rolling resistance.
2. Along that line, fashionable folding bikes with small tires are less safe. Big tires roll over obstacles and potholes that will flip smaller tires. That's the reason a motorcycle with large tires is safer than a scooter.
2. Leave the earbuds at home. Safe cycling demands more attention than safe driving.
3. Wear a helmet. People who don't should have their heads examined.
4. In accidents that do not involve another bike or car, it is almost always the case that, under the circumstances of, say, a wet road or steep descent, the person is riding beyond his or her ability or that of the bike.