The list is very long. This is just a start and pertains mostly to reading fiction:
- The entertainment of story.
- Escape. Vicarious experience.
- The pleasure of enjoying another's art or craft.
- A picture of other lives, other places, other times, other words--some real and some imaginary.
- The sensation of trying on someone else's head: seeing experience from a point of view other than your own.
- The taste and feel and color and energy of words well wielded.
- Enlarging one's perceptions, understanding, comprehension. Enlightenment. Truth.
- Sharing the experience with others by talking or writing about what you read.