There are lot of factors that eventually lead to depression. This happens in both the mum and also the dad.
- A birth of a child is a big change in personal life. It is the ultimate change.
People maybe unable to fulfill their expectations and roles and so feel bad.
- Degree and quality of family support is different for some new parents.
- Perception, believes and thinking vary widely
- Some unable to breast feed due to monumental pressure
- In-laws and others telling you what to do
- General irritation of above
- Low Vitamin levels (esp B complex)
- Man is left out and does not know what to do about it
As you can imagine the above varies widely.